Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Town House - another great read from HarperCollins

A few weeks ago, I shared my thoughts about The Line Painter, a book I received and read as part of my membership in the HarperCollins group on Facebook. I just finished my second book: Town House by Tish Cohen. I couldn’t put it down. It’s a perfect summer read. It’s light, funny, poignant, original and has interesting, complex characters.

The story revolves around agoraphobic Jack Madigan, living off the riches of his late rock-star father and how his life changes once the money runs out. (In a brilliant move, Tish Cohen’s website asks readers to share their phobias. What a great way to engage readers.)

I stopped following the Facebook discussion after I read a rumour about the actor hired to play Jack in the movie version of the novel. What a disappointment. I prefer imagining characters myself.

After the first few pages, it became abundantly clear Town House is Tish Cohen’s tribute to John Cusack (the actor who is rumoured to play the lead.) I could hear each and every word Jack said being uttered by the actor himself. Coincidentally, I finished the second half of Town House on a flight to Nova Scotia. I went there to visit my childhood overnight camp ... the same place where Summerhood was filmed. It’s an upcoming movie narrated by none other than, you guessed it: John Cusack

Jack lives with his son Harlan and I couldn’t help but think of how he reminded me of Nick Tweed-Simmons. Cohen does a wonderful job of fleshing Jack’s character and the supporting ones as well.

I laughed out loud several times and I don’t want to ruin the book, in case you want to read it too.

What have you been reading this summer? Do you belong to a book club? Will you check out Town House?

Technorati tags: book clubs, Facebook, HarperCollins, John Cusack, Summerhood, Tish Cohen, Town House

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the recommendation! I'll check it out.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. Your feedback is important to me. I read every single comment and do my best to reply.

Note: Anonymous comments and spam will be deleted.

ClickComments